Tuesday, June 28, 2011

People are Cool.

 My nervous decent into Miami

So no matter what you think or how much people tell you the opposite...people are actually very cool.  Now, I have to admit, I was one of those people.  I do not like small talk, I'm not big on schmoozing nor am I any good at it, and I have a very hard time introducing myself first, and if you know me, you know that's an understatement.  (Why, you say, did I join the Peace Corps then?  Fair question, well that's a story for another day)  So after months of anxiety and worry, I've finally come to the day that I have to meet 30 plus new people, make friends fast because I'm basically spending the next two years with them.  Just the thought of this made my my stomach turn and palms sweat...until I actually had to do it.  Well, surprise, surprise, like most everything else in life, the thought and build up to it was so much worse than it actually was...I arrived at our staging event this morning, where all the future Peace Corps Volunteers that are serving in Jamaica meet to go over some information and paperwork.  Well, to my absolute delight and peace of mind, I like them, they are all super great!  And I think some of them even like me back!  We are such a diverse and interesting group, from all ages (22-60 something?) and from all over the country (Hawaii to Maine), I feel so lucky and happy (and relieved) to be grouped with these 30 people. (There are 31 of us total that are heading over to Jamaica tomorrow, in case you were wondering)  So bottom line, yet another example of why I do NOT need to be so nervous/worried/anxious about everything else that's coming up, because things work will themselves out, and most-likely, for the best.

Thankful for today:
All my new Peace Corps friends!
All my friends at home that I love and will talk to soon! (Thank you so much for your unbelievable support these past few weeks, you have all surprised and amazed me by how much you care - you know who you are and I love you!)

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh, I am soooo happy for you that your transition has been so smooth so far! Chat with you soon - love you!