Monday, July 11, 2011

Hello Again!

to the internet that is...it's been about 2 weeks since I've been able to be online for more than 10 minutes and it feels good.  Not as good as I thought it would be, since I'm sitting outside on my friend's balcony, on the hard floor, which is not optimal.  (Side note, my biggest complaint is that my arse is killing me from sitting through training all day.  Seriously, any chance I get to stand during the day, I relish in.)  But it's good that I can be back online to give some updates for those of you who I have neglected to call (I have good excuses!) and post some pictures.

 Hardship? What hardship?



Quick wrap-up:  We've been in mostly cross-culture and security training since we got here, and we have one more week of it then we break up into our sectors, mine being Education, and do some specific job related training.  And yes, we had ice cream, sweet sweet ice cream. :P

Longer wrap-up: We've all been living with host families, and mine is wonderful.  I live with a pretty typical family, 3 kids, 2 boys and a little girl, they are adorable.  I eat most meals with them, and last night I even cooked for them!  I had asked my host mom last week (I call her this despite the fact that I'm pretty sure she's only a few years older than me) what American food she might want to learn how to cook, and she quickly responded, "Lasagna" and the oldest boy, without missing a beat, exclaimed, "Garfield", to which I had to chuckle, what?  I grew up watching that!  Never underestimate the power of cartoons.  So, also despite the fact that I've never made lasagna in my life, nor am I the least bit Italian, we made a delicious lasagna, the garlic bread, however was a casualty to our hunger and was left a little too long in the oven.



That's all I can manage for right now.  I have to get home for dinner and then we have the neighborhood exercise group later this evening. (which is another story for a more comfortable time)

Things I'm thankful for today:

Delicious Lasagna, even in Jamaica
Great host family
Wonderful friends
Beautiful beach that's only a 10 minute walk away!
Great Peace Corps Staff
Letter from my mom today!  What a great surprise!
Tiny spider running across my screen right now!
 Much love!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay new blog post!! I can't stop laughing at the tiny spider comment...what a blessed little guy. And your lasagna looks amazing!! The garlic bread situation reminds me if the time the royal wedding ruined our peanut butter bars *this is where we do our sloppy queen wave imitation*ahh good times. Well I hope training goes by fast so your butt can get a break! More phone calls in the near future please because today's made my day!! See below:

Things I'm grateful for today:
Your phone call (duh)
Happy hour with Meg and steph (and you in spirit!)
Not having a tiny spider run across my screen

Love you!

Maine dance arts studio blog said...

Great to read and see your pics! You're host siblings sound adorable. Go on Dance Hall Queen!